Sunday, August 09, 2009

It's about time ...

Well, lots of changes here at the ol' blogspot tonight! First, you will notice I finally got a sense of style and designed a new background ... hope you all enjoy the new look.

We are beyond knee-deep in this adoption process, and yet everything seems to have come to a screeching halt. I read on my yahoo news feed yesterday that the baby boomlets have come to a lull. This was confirmed by my social worker a couple weeks ago. I don't know exactly why ... are fewer people getting pregnant? Are the women who are getting pregnant deciding to keep their babies? Are the unwanted babies surviving? Many questions that I have and am not sure I really want to know the answers to. I keep praying and as usual, trusting God to lead us and guide us and be there to jerk us into action, the right action when necessary.


As for Sonora ... the little Einstein can now identify 11 states on the US map. She has transitioned on her own without any prompting from us to saying her name properly. I almost cried. Someone asked her what her name was 3 days ago and she said, "So-NORA!" And with a nod of her head, that was the end of "no-de-doh".

We have been passing on clothes to our friend's daughter, Katie. She is a few months behind Sonora and every couple weeks as Sonora grows out of something, we fill a bag and put it by the door so we can grab it on our way to church. Every Saturday night before the passing of the wardrobe, Sonora will inevitably look in the bag and say, "mine?" And I always say, "no, those are for baby Katie. We're bringing them to church tomorrow." Well, Thursday, I went to Santa Ana Main Place Mall with my parents who wanted to put Sonora on the kiddie train in the mall. While there, I saw a store called the Pumpkin Patch that I had never been in. I bought Sonora a couple little black and white outfits that are ADORABLE and my mom got her some orange clothes at the Children's Place since orange is her absolute favorite color *and the one I like least in the rainbow*! Well, when we got home, I went to my room and started laying all the clothes on my bed so I could cut off the little plastic strings that hold on the tags. As I was taking things out of the bag, Sonora looked at all the clothes and said, "Mama, for baby Katie?" I said, "No, Sonora, these are for you." She then took a big gasp and said, "for baby ME?!" I was so sad ... I RARELY shop for her, one because we can't really afford my taste, and two, because we are so blessed to have had clothes passed on to us that have literally obliterated the need to shop. Still, I was sad that when she saw a bunch of new clothes, the first thing she thought was, "this must be for somebody else ..." Anyway, I pulled out the BRIGHT orange shirt and said, "Sonora, this shirt is just for you, do you like it?" And she said, "for baby Sonora?" (just to be sure) and I said, "yes, just for you!" And she grabbed it and went running down the hall screaming, "DA DA! DA DAA! Shirt orange baby me orange me!" And then went into his office and held up the shirt and hugged it.

I don't understand why this bothered me. One of the things in my life that I didn't like is that my parents showed affection by buying things and spoiling me. They didn't ever hug me, or verbalize love. Here I am trying to be a good mom and love on my daughter every day. I give her praise and accolades for the most minute accomplishment, I hug and kiss her till her face is raw, and what does she get a thrill from? A $12.00 orange shirt. What the heck? I mean, it's not like we never buy her anything, seriously ... anyone who has been here sees that she lacks NOTHING!

Whatever ...

I have lots going on lately. So much is happening where we live. So much is happening with all my friends ... birthdays, baby showers, wedding showers ... Today I got to see someone I love to death and it just wasn't long enough. There isn't enough time to catch up, to just be there with the people in life who mean the most to me ... and that includes Daniel. He is working tirelessly. He gets calls all day and into the night. Since we live onsite where he works, we get doorbells and knocks at times that I consider private family time. I am learning that I can't be the go-to person for people who live here. There are too many problems and that is Daniel's job to deal with, not mine. I care about people, but I can't allow myself to get caught up in the details of what's going on, because it's overwhelming. Like I have said before, there are just some things you don't blog ... and you all know me ... I blog A LOT.

I think my next venture will be to teach Sonora to dance ... wait, let me rephrase that, to teach Sonora some dance moves. She already knows how to dance, and she dances from the heart. I don't want to squelch that little spirit by forcing her into a choreographed box. We went to Ruby's tonight after Daniel's softball game and she yelled, "Ma Ma, PEE PEE!!!!!!" And so I leaped over Daniel and did the walk-run shuffle to the restroom and when we got there, the music inside was about 21 decibels higher than it was throughout the rest of the restaurant. Sonora stopped dead in her tracks and there we were in the handicap stall and she wouldn't let me pull her pants down. Remember, she is the one who told me in no uncertain terms that she had to go, and go NOW. Well, she would do a little dance and then stop and say, "music" and tilt her head so her ear faced the ceiling as if to say, "mom, can you hear how loud it is? Listen ..." and then do another dance. I kept saying, "Sonora, you can dance after you go potty." And then she started saying, "ma ma, dance (with) me ... dance." How could I resist? My favorite person in the world asking me to do my favorite thing in the world ... seriously ... it doesn't get any better than that ... well, except it could have been any place else other than the bathroom stall ... but there we were, dancing and my cup was overflowing.

Then there's Dress like a Pirate Day. Unofficially, that is. Enjoy these silly pictures of us taken right before we left the house for Disneyland. I do all of Sonora's facepainting before we go ... saves me 12 bucks a pop, and nobody is any the wiser ... well, except for all of you who are reading this ...darn it! My cover is blown! Now you all know that I am frugal and I facepaint. What next? Someone discovers the earth is round???

It's a wonderful life, indeed.

PS if you haven't already, look me up on facebook

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I cannot believe how much of a little lady Sonora has turned into soooo fast! That picture of her standing on the steps makes her look twice her age. Such an awesome little girl. She is very blessed to have you and Daniel as parents.

Michelle said...

P.S. I LOVE the new look for the blog. Very cute!