Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Intake Meeting

This morning at 10 o'clock, we went to our "Intake Meeting" with Holy Family Services. We didn't leave the building until after 1:00 pm. I was a little nervous, Daniel was calm, as usual. We were asked to wait in the "Baby Room" where there was a crib, a couch, some toddler toys and a rocking chair all pushed up against the walls. We assume this is where they bring the kids in for visits with the birthmoms, or even pass the baby to your for the first time in some cases. It was not a room I would want to take pictures in, let me tell you that. I would give anything to have enough money, and time to just donate design services for this place! I didn't like the way the room was arranged, so while we were there waiting, I completely re-arranged the furniture so it would make sense ... I made a nice conversation circle with the 60's style, olive pleather chairs and we pushed the couch over and moved the over-sized coffee table. I put the lamp in the right place on the end table - which I also moved and put the rocker at an angle that allowed the footrest to be used with it and not block the way to the changing table. The fake ficus had to go, but I restrained myself and just centered it in the corner of the room. All this before anyone even came in to greet us ... I guess you could say I was ALOT nervous! When Anne, the intake person, walked in, she didn't even do a doubletake ... maybe they'll think the organization fairy did it.We were asked many questions, we asked many questions, we paid 2k (in addition to the 125 for orientation and application processing) and walked out with a long list of paper work to be completed and home safety instructions that we need to hustle on, the 2 biggest changes are the stair banisters and the glass screen we need to install for our fireplace. We were told that we "set a record" because no one has ever turned in their completed application as fast as we did (2 days after the orientation, the application and fees were in.) Anne said at this rate, we could be approved as soon as 3 months!It sounds like a lot of technicalities, but the bottom line is that someday, there will be a baby that will not get it's head stuck between the balusters, or be burned by the flicker of a blue flame our fireplace produces. Well worth it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Antoniette

What a blessing to receive news from you! Especially such wonderful news! I’ll be praying for your baby and all the details about the adoption.



We’ll be going back to the US for some time in January 2006. And I’ll be in touch with you.

Love and God bless you

Claudia

Anonymous said...

Good Luck to you. I have a girlfriend who tried to get pregnant for 11 years. She went through in vitro, etc.. and then turned to her church for adoption. They adopted a new born baby boy within 6 months. He is now 2 years old and they recently have put their name back on the list to adopt a 2nd child.

I have know you Antoniette for over 20 years and know how loving you are. You have a great tender, loving heart, warm smile and will be a wonderful mother as I am sure Daniel will be a wonderful father.

You will be in my prayers and thoughts as you begin your new adventure. Hold on tight the ride is worth the wait. I know I had my first child 11 months after I was married and waited 13 long years for my daughter. It is truly a blessing.

Love you!
Kathy Dickhens (Reinert)

Anonymous said...

This is an answer to five years of prayer. Praise the Lord and pass the animal cookies! A little more patience and the sound of parenthood will ring in your home. Love you both and God is truly blessing you, very soon. Love in Christ Jesus, BigWaveDave & ObbieWookieWhan

Anonymous said...

I'm so so happy to hear each day what is going on. It will help us be more connected to your actual prayer needs. I'm so excited for you guys!