Thursday, March 16, 2006

Is it possible?

Our lives are so wonderfully amazing and complicated, and beyond blessed! In the last 2 weeks, we have actually had 2 completely unrelated offers from people to be surrogates for us! Our first offer came via e-mail from the sweetest couple. They have two beautiful children of their own. It seems easy to imagine that a woman could find it in her heart to offer such a gift, but then when you think that a couple, as a team, can go ahead and say, "yes, we will go through a pregnancy FOR YOU and sacrifice 9 months, and people talking and congratulating us when we run into them, and we will explain it is a favor for a friend ..." All that is entailed - it is amazing! This offer blew me and Daniel away. They said they weren't making the offer lightly, it was a serious offer. Wow. We called my parents and talked about if it was a possibility, but unfortunately, the finances are not available, and the adoption agency will not give us back any of our deposit. It would probably be about 40K total. Still, it was wonderful to dream about it and pray and ask God if there is a way for Him to show us. Even at 20K, we are not willing to mortgage our home and then not be in a position to comfortably provide if it ended up being multiple births - which is always a posisbility with In-Vitro - which is the only way we could imagine going forward with a surrogate. It would have to be all our genetic make up so we don't take a baby from a mother that partially belongs to her. We felt a peace about it and are just waiting to see if God has any other miracles up His almighty sleeve that He wants to show us.

So today, I get a phone call from another friend. She says, "I have something important to talk about with you." I ask what's up. She says, well, my husband and I were talking and praying about this and we would like to offer you the opportunity to use me as a surrogate so you guys can have your own baby. I couldn't even believe my ears - but I knew right away she was dead serious. They already have a precious child of their own. I almost wanted to chuckle - like, "are you KIDDING me God?!" What the heck is going on? I wouldn't even feel comfortable asking my friends to borrow their cars, much less their wombs, and God is providing us with the kind of friends who would actually DO this?? And not just the women, there are husbands involved here who have gone through pregnancies with their wives and know what it entails - the physical changes, emotional changes, and everything in between! My friend who offered today said she and her husband tried to consider everything before they offered and as far as they were concerned, they are serious about this. Wow. I told her, and I have to tell my other friend the same thing, that even if I am never able to have kids in my entire life, just the fact that someone would offer me such a gift as to sacrifice of themselves - whether or not money is involved is not the issue - the mere fact that a woman could carry a baby for me, someone who apparently can't, well, it just makes me feel so blessed that I know such people and am honored enough to call them my friends!

Obviously, we will be praying for God to show us which, if any, steps to take and to make it obvious if we are to be patient and continue with the adoption, or try and make a way for surrogacy. What an amazing life, in deed.

1 comment:

Jena Ream said...

Wow Antoniette! That is such an awesome thing!!! That would be such a blessing, to have your own kid and have someone else have the pregnancy. Those people truly know what self sacrifice is. I praise God for them! Yeah!