Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The fun is JUST BEGINNING!

Okay - so the water has somewhat subsided. We now have the city involved because when the plumber got here, he tried to turn off the water at the meter and it was flooded and leaking as well. 3 totally UNRELATED incidents within 4 feet of each other! Now, the city guy said they have to bring in a backhoe and tear up the whole alley and fix it underground. We'll have to notify the neighbors that they need to find parking for their cars because they won't have garage access for awhile. Lovely. I asked if he could please wait until after Thursday. He obliged.

So, I am having this conversation with Debbie this morning and it sure is good to have a friend who just "gets it" like she does. Amy's that way to. Always a step ahead and finishing the sentences I can't even come up with the words for. Anyway, Deb and I were talking and I was telling her how yesterday, Daniel had come home and asked if we could watch Kevin & Jen's 3 kids for 5 days next month while they go to Texas. I said sure, it'll be a hoot. Then last night, I talked to Charlene and let her know we'd be able to watch Luis and Sierra for a couple days while she and Hector go to a Marine's Ball in Vegas. Debbie said, "way to go - you just secured a child ... because you KNOW that while these people are out of state and you have their kids, THAT is when the agency will call and say "we have your baby, can you pick it up?" And we laughed and said, stuff like, "not only did we secure a baby, we probably secured twins!" And had the best laugh - and yet, also a nervous almost prophetic laugh it was ... because as we all know by now, nothing ever just goes as "planned."

I mean, there is never a good time to slip and fall and bust your ankle and knee, but leave it to me to do it while on a 14 hour drive in Florida. There is never a good time for the AC to go out and a flood to happen at the same time, but of course it happened when I was laid up in bed for 9 months after the fall. And now, of course, more water issues happen a couple days before the one and only most important home inspection of our lives ... and here we are, mopping mud out of the garage. So OF COURSE when I say I will watch somebody's kids, they will call with a baby ... it just makes perfect sense ... doesn't it?

No comments: