
Hi Everyone, Daniel here ...
Though the changes have been a little more subtle than Antoniette's, I think you'll see the preparing that my body has done over the last 9 months to become a dad! Like most dads, I specialize in being goofy and having fun, but recently, the excitement has overwhelmed me as I start thinking about our baby. Only 9 more days to go.
Many people have told me I'll be a great dad ... people that I trust, like many of you. Like most men, I don't enjoy asking for directions ... I like reading instructions even less. So, please, in the days to come, I humbly ask you to give me your best fatherly advice! I think I'm ahead of the game since I'm actually asking before I get lost. Darn ... there goes that humility thing ...
When I think about being a dad in today's society, especially a dad of a little girl, it's scary. My desire to protect her is affected by my desire to see her take risks, to be challenged and to succeed, and I don't want to hamper her growth.
This little girl has already reached out of the womb and grabbed a hold of my heart. Every time I talk to her, she jumps and moves inside of Antoniette. Many of those times have brought me to tears.Today I was in a restaurant with my in-laws and my wife and saw a family of 4. The little boy was constantly interacting with his mom and the little girl was constantly interacting with her dad. It made me think that I need to protect and nurture my relationship with my wife so our daughter will interact with BOTH of us.
I have a hopeful excitement with just a touch of dread when I think about the actual c-section and the aftermath (recovery). I will be so excited to see our baby, and also have the prayerful concern for my wife that I should have. I can't wait to actually hold my baby next to my wife, I can only imagine it like a dream.
As Sonora grows up, I look forward to getting to know her, her personality, favorites (colors, teddy bears and all that stuff ...) As she gets older, what's she gonna love? Books? Foods? Some other boy? That's scary. In my presumptuous thinking, I will get to see all those things ... but that's what it's like when you have dreams. I'm tearfully blown away that I get to be some body's dad. I love my little Sonora. And I just have to take some time right here to say thank you to Antoniette for enduring all the hardships of this pregnancy and helping me get to this dream come true.
It has meant so much to me to be a part of fellowship ... at our church, with our family and our friends. Thank you all, for all of your prayers.
Love,
Daniel ... Daddy to be

2 comments:
Sounds like you've got "IT". You've got the dad thang.
With daughters, the strange phenomenon of "Power of the Daddy" is stronger. This is where kids listen to dad (like a god) and mom is somewhere in the serf/peasant ranks. Mom gets ignored by kids, dad gets the royal treatment. Good luck with that when she starts talking. Ask any dad with a daughter. It is a hidden fact I'm bringing out in the open.
You’ll think it’s how your relating to your wife that affects the child’s behavior towards the mom; but it’s not. It’s just a strange oddity. Mom becomes chopped liver; dad becomes prime rib. You will be her prince, the knight in shining armor. The mother daughter rumble begins with a struggle for intimacy with the Alfa male of the family. You Daniel, are the Alfa male. No pressure. Have fun. Love ya, Steve-o
How sweet!! You will be a great dad..correction! You are a great dad!
kristi
Post a Comment